The warranty that is known as Home of Texas is also sold in other states under the various state names such as Home of Arizona, Pennsylvania, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, etc.NOTE:
A Review of the Home of Texas
2-10 Year Written Warranty for New Homes
HomeOwners for Better Building
IF YOU SEE ANY ERRORS IN MY INTERPRETATION OF THIS WARRANTY PLEASE CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELY SO I MAY CORRECT IT.
HOBB recently began reviewing the warranties used by major builders in Texas. This review of the Homes of Texas is short since it is almost an exact DUPLICATE of the RWC warranty! But, there are 3 major differences:
- The color of the warranty booklet is different. Homes of Texas is Blue. RWC, white.
- Cover pages.
- Last page on foundation maintenance. This details what an owner must do if the foundation is built on active soils.
- They refer the owner to the Texas State Agriculture Dept to learn what plants to plant, and suggest homeowners to have someone water their foundation when they go on vacation. (This they can do while they feed the cat.)
- They suggest how to water your foundation.
- They suggest to keep the foundation moist, not wet, and not dry, and evenly moist around the home.
- And they remind you 4 times on the page that fallure to correctly maintain the foundation can lead to voiding the warranty.
Other than that, they are nearly word for word the same and they use the same pictures in the brochures. These warranties come from different builders, different warranty companies, and different 3rd party insurers.
As with the RWC, the 10 year warranty has always been a selling point for the builders. The "Ten Year " has a confidence building ring to it. but gives the homeowner a false sense of security. Homeowners expect a bumper to bumper warranty much like cars. Many car warranties cover at the very least 4 years 60,000 miles and with the quality of cars of today, an extended warranty is rarely needed. Home warranties on the over hand have a 1-2-10 year warranty. The 10 year applies ONLY to Major Structural Defects (MSD). Most everything else, roof shingles, windows, siding, carpet, tile, bricks, etc. have only 1 or 2 years warranty. The owners are given a false sense of security when in fact the warranties are severely limited.